Jobs at Sports Reference
Sports Reference currently serves a still-growing 20m monthly users through our Reference sites and our SaaS business line at Stathead.com. Our sites are used worldwide every day by professionals and non-professionals alike. They are: Baseball-Reference.com, Basketball-Reference.com, Pro-Football-Reference.com, Hockey-Reference.com, SR/College Football, SR/College Basketball, FBref.com, and Stathead.com.
Our Purpose and Values
We will be the trusted source of information and tools that inspire and empower users to enjoy, understand, and share the sports they love.
- Respect for our users, the athletes we cover, and our team;
- Craftsmanship in building tools and products
- Reliable tools and services that meet our users' needs every day; and
- Data democratization. We publish many data sets for emerging and underserved sports. For instance, the New York Times covered our recognition of the Negro Leagues as major leagues in the summer of 2021.
To meet these expectations, we encourage team members to participate in company discussions and share new ideas, features or potential solutions to problems.
Recently Open Positions
We are a remote-first company and determine our pay ranges based on the market rates for Philadelphia, our home base. Salaries offered will be based on your experience and skill level.
Annual bonuses are variable and are tied to a percentage of the company's end of year profits and the employee's time worked and salary earned during the year. In the last three years, they have averaged 15% of annual salary.
Even though we are a small company, Sports Reference has a generous benefits package.
- The total value of our benefits package is up to $30,000.
- We cover full health and dental insurance costs for full-time employees and their dependent children. We cover 70%-80% of plans for an entire family.
- We have a 401k with a match on your contributions up to 4% of your base salary.
- We pay all premiums for company-sponsored life and long-term disability insurance for all employees.
- We provide up to $7,000/year in continuing education benefits.
- Even if you live in or near Philly, you have the option to work remotely as much as you choose. We generally work a standard workday, but with flexibility to flex hours within that framework.
- Any parent welcoming a new child to their family is entitled to 13 weeks of fully paid leave, and up to an additional 26 weeks at half-time.
- Employees begin with 18 days vacation per year and an additional 8 paid company holidays and accrue sick leave at the rate of one day per month.
- We will generally buy you whatever equipment will make you the most productive.
- We typically will pay for reasonable moving-related expenses related to your acceptance of a position with Sports Reference. Please ask if you have any questions related to this benefit.
- We provide a $50/month remote work stipend to cover the cost of internet access and incidental expenses.
- Sports Reference's first site was launched in 2000. We have bootstrapped ourselves to 28 full-time employees and have no venture capital backing.
- We are willing to provide accommodations for candidates for whom the timing or structure of our interview process may be challenging. This may include early morning or evening interview times or provide payment to cover child care expenses if needed. If you are applying for a role where verbal communication is not a significant requirement, we may consider an alternative form of interview as is reasonably possible and suitable. Similarly if an extended period of internet connectivity is a challenge, we may consider an alternate form of interview. If we invite you to interview, please let us know of any possibly necessary accommodations.
- We've created a page to describe our typical interview process.
- Sports Reference is a remote-first company. Sports Reference is located in Philadelphia and non-Philadelphia candidates will be considered on an equal footing to those who are local. Presently, all Sports Reference employees are working remotely at least some of the time. We have re-opened our office, but well over half of our team is full-time remote and those in Philly are in the office on days of their choosing.
- Employment at Sports Reference LLC is at-will.
- Applicants are preferred to have a legal right to work in the United States. Please let us know in your application if you do not have the right to work in the United States. We'd have to look carefully at those cases as we have never hired a non-US-based employee.
- We are a corporate sponsor of Women in Sports and Tech.
- 100% of our merchandise sales support youth sports.
Sports Reference is a growing company, and your work will be highly visible and have a definite and immediate impact (Read about us in the New York Times and The Athletic ($)). We reach over 20 million users each month and served over 1.3 billion pages in 2020.
Sports Reference provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, civil union status, color, discrimination, domestic partnership status, domestic violence victim status, familial status, gender, gender expression, gender identity, gender transition, genetic information, immigration status, marital status, marriage to a co-worker, mental or physical disability or illness, military service, military and veteran status, national origin (including physical, cultural, or linguistic characteristics), nationality, parental leave, pregnancy (including childbirth, breastfeeding or medical or common conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth), race (including traits that are historically associated with race, such as hair texture and protective hairstyles, including braids, locks and twists), religion, retaliation, sexual harassment, sexual or affectional orientation (actual or perceived, whether or not traditionally associated with the person’s designated sex at birth), status with regard to public assistance, transgender identity, unfavorable discharge of military status (less than “honorable” but not “dishonorable”), or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws and ordinances, or on the basis of sports franchise preferences.
- 7 Summer internships, filled March 2022
- Test Engineer, filled January 2022
- Engineering Support Coordinator, filled January 2022
- Digital Marketing Manager, filled January 2022
- Social Media Coordinators, filled January 2022
- SEO Specialist, filled February 2022
- Customer Success Coordinator, filled January 2022
- DevOps Engineer - filled October 2021
- Marketing Director - filled July 2021
- QA/Testing Engineers - filled July 2021
- Web Developers - filled filled July 2021
- 2021 Summer Internships
- Customer Success, filled December 2020
- DevOps Engineer, filled November 2020
- Head of UX, filled November 2020
- Data Developer, filled November 2020
- 2020 Summer Interns, filled
- Web Developer, Closed
- Social Media Coordinator, Filled March 2018
- Data Developers (x2), Filled January 2018
- Social Media Coordinator, Filled July 2015
- Hockey GM, Filled February 2015
- Summer Data Interns, Filled June 2015
- User Affairs Coordinator, Filled March 2014
- Hockey GM, Filled December 2013
- Basketball GM, Filled October 2013
- Football GM, Filled May 2011
- User Affairs Coordinator, Filled March 2009